There are many things you can draw out from simple materials, and make it useful for anything. That is what a craftsman is supposed to be as well; resourceful and creative. You may have excess materials in the house that could still be of use when the time comes.
You can make as many star knobs as you would want using a knob jig. You can use different types of woods on this one depending on your taste.
In this short and brief article, I will show you how to make star knobs with the knob jig. It won’t take a lot of time, and it is not much of a lengthy process either. Turn your scrapped items into a new a refreshing useful product.
If you have a woodshop in your garage with the essential items, then you will have no problem doing this at all. Besides that, there aren’t much of materials that would require.
Any scrap woods that you have will work as well. The other materials are already in your wood shop. That is simply all you need. Just take one day off and keep on making some as needed.
As long as you have seen, and various types of drill then you should be good to go.
How to Do it:
- From a leftover or unused wood, prepare a ½” and ¾” plywood. It could be anywhere from 5-7” wide and 8” long. Mark the necessary points for the clamping bolt.
- Stick the two pieces together and drill a hole in the middle. The ideal hole is ¼”.
- Turn it on the other side and use a hole saw to drill through ¾” partial layer.
- As a guide, cut the smaller piece of the knob with a hole saw to reference for the large hole saw. ½” for the small hole saw is best.
- Screw the second hole in place.
- Drive the clamping bolt in place using a hammer. Make sure it is down the bottom, so it stays secure.
- Reference with lines and make it 120 degrees apart from an unused plywood.
- You can make the stud knobs longer, and then if you find it too long, you can always narrow them down.
- Any wood can go for it. If you have a more solid and dense wood, the better.
Few More Tips
You can use a fast setting adhesive such as epoxy because it works well from wood to other products. It is also easier to apply and such. You can also use a t-knob for other designs as well. Clamp the pieces together when you use epoxy, so it doesn’t lose and make sure that it stays set there.
If you want to, there are other types of knobs that you can work with as well, and not particularly the star knob. As long as it can be usable for clamping or putting things together, then you won’t even have a single problem with.
You can practically use star knobs anywhere you would like. It can be when you want to setup a computer table or a cabinet drawer. You can also set them up and design your looks for it. You can even have them painted as well if you desire to.
That’s a wrap for this article. Did you see how fast and easy that was? You can now create your star knobs out of scrapped items. It is important to recycle so that we don’t spend a lot, and save one tree at a time.