I am sure that you have seen a movie where they have a secret room behind an unsuspecting surface or platform. It could be a very important passageway in case of any circumstances such as an emergency. It is possible to do it in your home, and I will show you how to construct one easily.
Time To Make It Happen
If you are lucky that there is a left-out space in your house that you don’t know what to do it with, then it is the perfect choice where you can build the secret door. If you’re planning to renovate your house to refresh it, it could be a perfect time that you do it as well. It will just take a few dirty and wood works to achieve it.
First, make sure that you have these follow items before proceeding:
• A Strong Wood Glue
• Table Saw
• Miter Saw
• Circular Saw Kit
• SOSS Invisible Hinge
• Automatic Gate Latch
• Pocket Hole Jig System (Kreg R3 Jr.)
• Heavy Duty Fixed Caster
• Sanded Plywood
• Laminated Pine Board
• Construction Lumber
The measurements of the wood will depend on the space of the hole in the wall. It would be best that you have a garage workshop to work this in.
Creating The Shelf Door
For the procedure, do this as carefully as possible. I don’t want you to be injured, so practice safety.
1. Construct a front face frame that will fit the opening of the room perfectly. I would highly recommend that you drill pocket holes so that they are well hidden and easy to stick the pieces. Cut more wood to make a stable base for the shelves.
2. Create a box that is the same interior dimensions of the frame. This is where you can keep the books, and other items to make it realistic.
3. Create pocket hold on the side panels and link them to the frame by adding glue. Make sure to align it carefully and nail it down. Attach the panels for the shelves by drilling a pocket hole underneath it, and screw it from there
4. Use hidden hinges to remain secretive of the door itself. There will be a template that comes along with it to guide you accordingly. Clean the mortise with knife and chisel. Screw the hinge in place on the pre-drilled holes.
5. For it to slide, attach heavy duty casters that are angled away from the hinge side for it to open smoothly.
6. Now fit the cabinet in the hold on the wall, and indicate the position of the hinge and mark it. Drill it the same way, and screw the hinge in place.
7. Construct a bracket with an identical depth as the cabinet to create the latch. Screw the bracket to the door frame from both sides. You could reinforce by adding support at the back of the cabinet.
8. Add handles from both sides of the door to access it easily. Make sure everything is properly aligned.
9. Get an old book and replace the pages with wood fillings. Add an eyelet and a thick gauge wire to it. By using a hinge, attach it to the book shelf.
10. Drill a small hole above the latch for the wire to pass through. Attach the wire to the latch, and adjust the length of the wire, so the book closes and opens with the latch.
11. TADAHHH! All done!
There might some necessary adjustments that you need to do after completing the door, so please take your time in doing so. Now, be artistic and create the dream shelf that you always did!