Everyone, include me loves the looks and design of a finger jointed box. But making one is a very time taking process. You need to input a great amount of labour and time to create a finger jointed box. So, to avoid all the hassle follow the tips and tricks mentioned here to get your own finger jointed box without making much efforts. Anyone can produce a finger jointed box easily by using proper finger jointer jig. For making one of these great looking boxes you need just an hour for preparation of the base. First thing you need to get is a timber which is largest 10mm thick. For using hardwood this thickness is perfect and provides a perfect finish for your box.
- Now the first step includes getting your timber ready. You can pick any timber wood and convert it into a beautiful finger jointer box. The bottom of the box needs to be fitted with a ply board. So, try to cut a groove at the beginning only so that it would be easy to fit the ply board at the end. You may have to work hard if you decide to cut four small pieces. So the best tip here is to cut a one big piece to save time and labour. You can use the dimension of 300 mm*100 mm*10 mm for the sides.
- The next and most important step involves cutting the joints. To reduce the construction time of the finger jointer box you can modify your jig to hold both the sides and the ends at the same time. This trick can prove to very effective in reducing the completion time for your finger jointer box. Make your jig to hold both the sides on one side and both the ends on the other side.
- One you are done cutting a side or end, make sure to swap the boards end. Make sure that all the joints are having a clean cut before removing the timber from the jig. Place both your hands on the ends of the timber to avoid any kind of accident. If you avoid keeping your hand on the ends then you may end up accidently touching the router bit. Hence, this is the most important tip to follow for safe working conditions.
- Once the pieces are cut as required, they will fit together perfectly. Now after you are one with fitting the sides together, it’s time to work on the base of the finger jointer box. All you have to do is measure the space inside the box and add the depth of the groves you have created. For example- 190+5+5=200 and 240+5+5=250. So, for this case the cut you need to make for the base is of dimension 200*250 and the ply will fit.
- After following all the steps make sure that all the fingers fit together. And when you find that the finger joints fit in perfectly, use PVA glue to stick the joints together. Make sure to fix it in vice and use a clamp to hold the other side.
- The last step, take a sit and look at a beautifull finger jointed box made by yourself in small amount of time.